“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence then is not an act, but a habit.“– Will Durant
Habits and success are more related than you think. Success is determined by your behaviour(what you do), and habits determine 95% of your behaviour. So we can determine our success by determining our habits. Interesting, isn’t it?
You right now are the result of your past habits, and your future self will be the result of your present habits. You can change your future by changing your habits. If you develop the habits of an unsuccessful person, you will be unsuccessful in 2023, and if you develop the habits of a successful person, you will be successful in 2023.
In this article, I will go over the habits of successful people you should develop in yourself to be successful in 2023. I will briefly review how you can start with these habits, so stick around and continue reading.
3 Habits of Successful people you should Develop
While talking about these 3 habits, I am ignoring all the routine habits of successful people, such as waking up early and reading books. These habits are also essential, but more important is what’s behind these habits, what comes on the top.
These 3 are the core values and habits of successful people; these are the habits that drive successful people to wake up early, read books and have other good habits. You should mainly focus on these habits. If you develop these habits, they will carry you through the procedure of becoming successful, I promise.
1. They are Goal Oriented
Successful people are goal-oriented. It’s the first and very important habit you should have. Successful people set goals for anything they want to achieve and make plans to reach their goals. They work on reaching their goal as a daily routine.
Want to be successful? Become a habitual goal-setter. Set goals to achieve your purpose and set goals daily for the day. You should be clear on what you want; you should have your goal written down and have written plans to accomplish it.
So, what do you have to do?
If you do not already have any goals, set them. Here are some steps to follow(from Brian Tracy):
- Write ten goals on a paper within 15 minutes. Whatever comes, write it down. Ten goals are the minimum.
- Imagine you have a magic wand and can achieve one goal from that list with the swing of that wand. Which goal would you select? Whatever it is, Mark it. It’s your central goal now(select the goal with the most impact on your life).
- Write your central goal on the top of a piece of clean paper. Set a deadline for it.
- Make a list of things you can do to achieve your goals on that paper. The list should include anything to learn, read, and do to achieve the goal.
- Arrange your list, prioritizing the most urgent and essential things at the top and the least at the bottom. This list will work as a plan.
With this, you have a goal and a plan to achieve that goal. You have to develop the habit of setting a goal daily to do SOMETHING or ANYTHING to at least get 1 step closer to your central goal and do it.
Just like the above, take a clean sheet of paper daily, write down a daily goal to achieve by the end of the day, which will get you closer to your central goal, and make a list of things that you have to do to achieve this goal and do them.
Having this habit this will give you a direction, increase your productivity and speed of getting closer to achieving the central goal.
I suggest you read: Steps to Achieving Goals: The seven-step method to achieving your goals and Proper way of Setting goals for yourself Using this Ten-Goal exercise.
2. They are Action Oriented
There are talkers and do-ers, where talkers stay talking; do-ers do it away and become successful, whereas talkers stay unsuccessful because they never take action.
Successful people are the do-ers; they are called action-oriented people. They have a habit of taking action on whatever is important to get them success. While others procrastinate and think it’s not the best time to take action.
Want to be successful? Beat your procrastination and take immediate action towards your central goals. People tend to see dreams and sometimes set goals at New year, and those goals disappear in thin air after a month without any plan and action. The combination of goal orientation and action orientation brings great success.
So, what do you need to do?
You already wrote down goals and made a plan using above steps, right? Develop this habit of pushing distractions aside and launching yourself toward the goal 100% by taking action whenever you feel you are procrastinating.
Here are some things that you should do, take action right now and start with this habit:
- Take a piece of paper, write down your goal, and plan as told above.
- Set yourself up to do SOMETHING or ANYTHING daily, which brings your central goal closer.
- Take action by writing today’s daily goal and plan on paper.
- Work on the plan and do the same daily until it becomes your habit.
As taking action will become your habit, you will take action whenever you feel you are procrastinating, making you unstoppable.
3. They are Self-Disciplined
The third and most important habit of successful people is self-discipline.
Doing what you should do when you should do to become successful, whether you feel like it or not, is called self-discipline. The ability to control yourself, master yourself and discipline yourself ensures success.
Successful people don’t depend upon motivation, motivated or not; they take action and move toward their goals using self-discipline. Being goal-oriented and action-oriented depend on self-discipline; without discipline, you will not be able to set goals and take action on them daily, which will result in them not turning into a habit and you staying unsuccessful.
“The ability to discipline yourself to delay gratification in the short term to enjoy greater rewards in the long term is the indispensable prerequisite for success,” said Brian Tracy.
Want to be successful? Choose to take action and work on your goal whenever you have the choice between working and chilling, even if you want to watch TV and chill.
So, what do you need to do?
Still didn’t write the goals and plan down? 🤨
Here are some things to take action upon right now and start with self-discipline:
- You made an arranged list which we called the plan, right? Whatever is on the top, take action on it right now and start pivoting towards your goal. An undisciplined man will not be able to take action, and you know what will happen to him.
Here are some examples of things a disciplined person should do.
- Discipline yourself to read when it’s needed for success.
- Discipline yourself to train when it’s needed for success.
- Discipline yourself to take action when it’s needed for success.
- Discipline Yourself to leave all the momentary satisfaction behind and move on to the goal which will bring true and lasting satisfaction.
This is where you will start to develop routine habits like reading and waking up early.
Like all the other good things, self-discipline is hard to develop and will give you a tough time, but I promise it will only get easy with time.
You should read: Can You Have Discipline Without Motivation? The Power Of Self Discipline by Emmy Steve.
I have seen many people on the internet saying, “Read 20 pages of a book daily”, “Wake up at 4 am and run 5 km”, or “Successful people work 14-18 hours. You have to too.” They are somewhat correct, but they forget to teach the foundation.
You can’t wake up at 4 am to work consistently if you are not driven to. They tell all the habits that are visible on the surface and forget the base of iceberg. The above 3 habits will drive you to do all the stuff a successful person does and make you unstoppable.
Here is the summary of what base habits you should develop to be successful in 2023.
- Become a habitual goal-setter—set goals for the day, week, month and life with a deadline.
- Develop the habit of taking action toward the goal rather than sitting and thinking. Don’t be the talker. Be the do-er.
- Develop Self-discipline in your habit. Do what you should do when yu should do to be successful, even if you feel like not doing it.
PS: You wrote down the goal and plan, didn’t you🤨? What do you aim for in 2023?
Let’s talk in the comment section😀.